Dr. Walbom provides oral cancer screening using Velscope technology. This allows oral cancer to be detected at an early stage when treatment is much more successful. The incidence of oral cancer has increased rapidly in recent years, and the death rate from oral cancer is increasing because of late detection. We strongly recommend that this screening be done at least once a year. Smokers and people breathing secondhand smoke should be screened more often as they are at higher risk. Call our office at 520-809-6100 for more information.
The following symptoms can be associated with oral cancer and should be reported to your medical doctor.
- A persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- A persistent or lasting sore on the face, neck, or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the face, neck, or mouth
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other parts of the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled red and white patches in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
- A change in the way your teeth or dentures fit together